Pioneering innovation: then and now
Why focus on innovation? We are proud to be the world leader in different areas. One of the main achievements over the past 24 years is a 21% reduction in CO2 emissions per tonne cementitious. Furthermore, we have developed a vision of how we see our sector reducing its emissions by 2050.
Examples of what the cement industry has already achieved include:
- Replacing primary raw materials (eg limestone) with waste, such as contaminated soils
- Installing state-of-the-art technology in our existing plants
- Manufacturing more than 90% of clinker in energy-efficient, dry technology kilns......
- .... as well as improving the thermal energy efficiency of these kilns
- Increasing the use of waste as an alternative fuel (currently accounting for 41% of the fuel we use)
- Replacing part of the clinker with by products from other industries (eg fly ash)
- Consuming less power thanks to more efficient grinding technologies
We are committed to maintaining a full supply chain in Europe: investing in Europe, providing jobs to European citizens and adding value to Europe’s economy.
- The Role of Cement in the 2050 Low Carbon Economy - CEMBUREAU
- Development of State of the Art-Techniques in Cement Manufacturing - ECRA
- Innovation in the Cement Industry - CEMBUREAU